JAN: Opening Doors to Job Accommodation
WHAT IS JAN?
The Job Accommodation Network (JAN), a service of the USDOL Office of Disability and Employment Policy, is a free on-line and telephone resource for anyone who has questions about job accommodations, or about the employment sections of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WHO SHOULD USE JAN?
Employers, persons with disabilities, service providers, rehabilitation counselors, or anybody involved in helping a person with a disability obtain or retain a job.
HOW DOES JAN WORK?
There are two ways to obtain information on accommodations from JAN.
- Using JANs Searchable Online Accommodation Resource (SOAR), an on-line database which allows you to search for various accommodation options: www.jan.wvu.edu/soar/ index.html
- Calling JANs toll-free information line, where trained consultants respond to questions, discuss specific job accommodations, and suggest additional resources to assist you.
All calls to JAN are kept confidential. If you are calling about accommodating an individual on the job, the more you tell the consultant about the required tasks and the functional limitations and abilities of the individual, the better the consultant will be able to help. When you call, the following steps occur:
- The receptionist listens to each question and transfers the caller to the JAN consultant who is most knowledgeable in that particular area.
- The consultant asks questions to obtain the information needed in order to develop the best solution(s).
- The consultant searches a database of previous accommodations and provides as many potential accommodation options as possible. These may include:
- different approaches to job tasks
- proposed policy changes,
- commercially available products,
- different ways to use existing products,
- resources for device modification/fabrication.
As follow-up, the caller may be asked to complete a questionnaire regarding the recommended accommodation(s) and their usefulness. This feedback helps JAN improve services and assist future callers with accommodation solutions. JAN staff has cumulatively over 100 years of experience and has delivered information on over 100,000 job accommodations since 1984.
HOW DO I REACH JAN?
Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
West Virginia University
P.O. Box 6080
Morgantown, West Virginia 26506-6080
Adapted from material produced by the Presidents Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities - July 1998. Used with permission