Finding Transportation Solutions: Questions to Consider
When assisting a job seeker with a disability to find transportation, the following questions can help identify possible solutions.
Do you have a drivers license?
- If not, could you obtain a drivers license?
- Do you have a vehicle or have access to a vehicle?
- Could you buy a vehicle (possibly using a PASS Social Security Work Incentive to cover the cost)?
Is there mass transit that can take you to your job?
- Could you learn how to take mass transit?
Note: some agencies, such as Independent Living Centers, Community Rehabilitation Providers, and others, teach people with disabilities to use mass transit via travel training. Orientation and Mobility (O & M) classes can help people who have visual impairments. The state blind and visually impaired agency should have information on O & M services.
Could you take a cab to work?
Walking & Biking
Is the job within walking distance? Biking distance? Moped distance?
Car Pooling & Employer Resources
- How do your co-workers get to work? Could you car pool with them?
- Does your employer have any ideas or resources for transportation?
- Are there other employers nearby whose employees take a similar route? Might a car pool or shuttle bus be arranged?
Someone who could drive you
Who might be available to drive you to and from work?
- People you live with?
- Residential program staff?
If you can identify a driver but no vehicle, could a vehicle be purchased (possibly using a PASS-Plan for Achieving Self-Support, to cover the down payment) for someone else to drive you? [See information elsewhere in this section on using PASSs for transportation.]
Finding a driver
If you dont know anyone who could drive you, could you find a driver?
- Where would you advertise?
Newspaper? Local colleges? Stores? Senior centers? Civic groups? Church bulletins?
- Is there paratransit (special transportation services for people with disabilities) available?
- Are there other transportation services available?
Brainstorming other ideas
Who could help you come up with ideas for transportation?
- People you live with?
- Family members?
- Other professionals?
- Other community members?
- Members of groups you are part of?
Paying for transportation
- Are you eligible for reduced fare programs?
- If youre on Social Security, have you investigated using the PASS or IRWE Work Incentives to help cover the costs?
Institute for Community Inclusion