Construction workers, car mechanics, welders, lab technicians, manufacturers, and athletes have a higher risk of hurting their eyes. As such, it is recommended that they invest in a pair of high-quality safety glasses. However, safeguarding does not end there; you must also know how to clean your safety glasses.
Keeping safety glasses cleaned and scratch-free not only allows wearers to see well, but it also prolongs the product’s life, resulting in considerable cost savings.
To prevent any harm to the lenses of safety glasses, they should be cleaned with extreme caution. The most common cause of scratched lenses is incorrect lens cleaning, followed by improper lens maintenance.
If you possess a pair of safety glasses, this is the article to read. You need to check and prepare a few materials, including some lukewarm water, a clean lint-free cloth, a glass lens cleanser, a glass case, and several soft-bristled brushes.
- To remove stains from lenses, immerse them in lukewarm water for 15-30 minutes.
- To keep the safety glasses secure, place them back in a glass case.
- To get rid of dirt and dust from the lenses:
Step 1: Wipe away the dirt and dust particles from the lenses using a clean cloth.
Step 2: Using a very soft-bristled brush, clean the lenses around the frame.
Step 3: Soak a clean cloth in lukewarm water and massage the lens with it.
Step 4: Pour the cleaning solution onto a clean towel and massage again.
Keep reading for the details!
- How Do You Sterilize Safety Glasses?
- How About Scratched Safety Glasses?
- Notes for Care and Maintenance of Safety Glasses:
- Q&A About Clean Safety Glasses
Check your lenses every day for dust collection, scratches, cracks, loosened elastic bands, and tint fading. Dirty lenses will not only reduce your vision but will also allow germs to grow in the lenses, which will then be transferred to your eyes.
Your lenses are already prone to splitting and fracturing if they are scratched. The safety glasses’ loose elastic headbands will fall off your face, exposing you to injuries. Therefore, addressing them as soon as they are detected is vital, and I will describe how to clean your safety glasses so later in this article.
Getting stains out of lenses
Simply submerge your lenses in lukewarm water for 15-30 minutes to remove any dirt areas. The debris will soften and you should be able to easily remove the stain with a lint-free cloth and glass lens cleaning solution.
Protecting the safety glasses
When you’re through glasses cleaning, put them back in the glass case that came with them. You may also store the glasses in any case that has a hard outside and a soft (ideally microfiber) layer on the inside.
Removing the lenses from dirt and grime
Because the lenses are the most delicate portion of the eyewear, you must follow extreme caution to clean goggles lenses.
Step 1: Using a clean cloth, remove the dirt and dust particles from the lenses.
Step 2: Clean the lenses surrounding the frame with a very soft-bristled brush. It is best to get a beauty brush.
Step 3: Fill a dish halfway with lukewarm water and soak a clean towel in it. Then, with your fingertips, gently rub the lens in circular movements. This will remove all of the obstinate dust from the lenses.
Watch this video about cleaning safety glasses:
Step 4: Pour the safety glasses cleaner onto a clean cloth. Then, using your fingertips, massage in gently circular strokes again. This time, your lenses will be clean and germ-free.
Cleaning of the frames of the safety eyewear
Cleaning the frames of safety glasses is a simple task. Clean the parts of the frame attached to the lenses with a soft brush and wipe the handles that go behind the ears with a lint-free cloth.
How Do You Sterilize Safety Glasses?
It may take a little time and effort to clean your safety glasses. Follow the procedure below carefully:
- In a basin, make lukewarm water and a hand-washing soap
- Using a clean, lint-free cloth, wipe the lenses and frames with the water-and-soap
- Soak the spectacles in lukewarm water for 5 minutes. This will remove any soap solution that has remained on the glasses. Keep in mind that if the washing solution is not fully cleansed, it may leave stains.
How About Scratched Safety Glasses?
To clean scratched safety glasses, get some toothpaste, preferably non-abrasive toothpaste and apply it to the scratches on your safety glasses. Using a soft cloth or cotton, gently massage the toothpaste in circular movements until the scratches disappear. Then, rinse your glasses with cold, clean water and wipe them dry with a soft towel. This is one of the most common procedures for eliminating scratches from safety glasses.
Notes for Care and Maintenance of Safety Glasses:
- Clean your safety glasses regularly to guarantee you have the finest vision possible.
- Before cleansing, rinse your safety glasses under cold water to eliminate dust and dirt.
- To dry the lenses, use a clean microfiber cleaning cloth.
- Wear and preserve your safety glasses in their secure case or bag at all times.
- Scratched or broken safety glasses, goggles, or face shields must be fixed.
- When you put down your safety glasses, ensure that the lenses are facing up. This will assist in maintaining them scuff-free.
- Rub your lenses with a paper towel, your clothes, or any line-containing cloth.
- Leave your glasses wet after washing them with fresh water as stains will remain on the lenses.
- Forget to keep them in the circumstances set to keep glasses safe.
- Use any solvent, detergent, or alcohol-based cleaning agent to clean your safety glasses.
Q&A About Clean Safety Glasses
What happens if I clean them in the wrong way?
Many people feel that cleaning their safety glasses is taking them off their faces, washing them down with an old rag or their shirt, and calling it a day. The problem, of course, is that this is ineffective.
Incorrectly cleaning glasses is the major cause of scratching. Thus, it is vital to clean your safety glasses correctly. When you clean them incorrectly and end up with scratches on your lenses, you jeopardize the quality of your glasses as well as your eyesight when working in dangerous conditions.
Why would you use a cleaning solution?
It is also critical to always have a cleaning solution on hand. This is what you’ll use to clean and disinfect your prescription safety glasses. This will remove dirt and debris from the lenses while also killing bacteria that are unseen to the naked eye. It removes fingerprints and smudges from your glasses, which might accumulate after a long day at work. If you work in a lab, your employer may provide a proper eyeglass cleaner.
You surely rely on your safety glasses to retain excellent vision and safeguard your eyes from harmful materials, whether welding, working in a building, working in a hospital office where you are exposed to laser or radiation, or doing any other task in a risky environment.
However, if you do not take proper care of your safety glasses, they will not be capable of protecting your eyes. Rely on these goggles cleaning processes that are suitable to take care of your safety glasses.
Our content editor is Joshua Clark. His writing and editing skills are such that he can simplify even the most intricate concept for the benefit of the reader. It’s excellent to have him on board since he can help us develop a comprehensive database on PPE matters impacting all construction workers, from amateurs to veterans.